Top News

War against Ukraine: reports of more mass graves near Mariupol

Status: 23.04.2022 04:51

According to satellite images, there are more mass graves in the Mariupol area. Meanwhile, a new escape corridor is being prepared from the besieged port city as Russian troops settle in the east of the country.

Near the southeastern Ukrainian port of Mariupol, which was besieged by Russian troops, satellite images suggest another possible mass grave. “This time in the district on the left bank near the Vynohrad cemetery,” said Deputy City Council MP Petro Andryushchenko. The occupying forces would try to cover up war crimes.

Images distributed by the US satellite photo service Maxar from March 22 to April 15 are said to show the cemetery at Wynohradny before, during and after the expansion of the graves. Wynohradne is located on the eastern edge of the port city on the Sea of ​​Azov.

The day before, Ukrainian officials had suspected satellite images of a possible mass grave in Manhush, about 15 kilometers west of the suburbs. The information cannot be verified independently.

conflicting parties as a source

Information on the course of the war, the shelling and the victims provided by the official bodies of the Russian and Ukrainian parties to the conflict cannot be directly controlled by an independent body in the current situation.

City officials say at least 20,000 people have been killed

Shortly after the complete siege of Mariupol by Russian troops in early March, several photographs of the dead in mass graves, probably from Mariupol, appeared. Representatives of the Ukrainian city administration estimate that at least 20,000 people have been killed as a result of heavy fighting and bombing.

Before the start of the Russian offensive war, almost two months ago, the city had a population of around 440,000. It is now said that more than 100,000 people live in the much-destroyed city. Russia has declared Mariupol completely conquered despite Ukraine’s opposition to the Azovstal steel plant.

War in Ukraine: Russia wants complete control of eastern and southern Ukraine

Janina Werner, WDR, daily topics 22:45, April 22, 2022

Ukraine: Possible escape corridor from Mariupol on Saturday

According to Ukrainian sources, the evacuation from Mariupol could take place on Saturday. “There is a possibility that we will be able to open the humanitarian corridor from Mariupol,” Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said late on Facebook.

Vereshchuk named as a meeting place on Saturday at 10 o’clock a shopping center in the north of the city, which is directly on one of the exit roads. She also said that the escape corridors from the city had failed several times and that she understood how difficult it was for people. “But you and I have to try it until it works.” He wants to give specific details in the morning.

Conflicting reports have emerged about the situation of the remaining Ukrainian fighters and civilians from the besieged Asovstal steelworks. In the evening, the Russian agency Tass wrote, referring to information from the “people’s militias” of separatists in the Donetsk region, that no Ukrainian fighters had used the “humanitarian corridor” to surrender or evacuate civilians. Kyiv earlier on Friday accused Russian troops of preventing civilians from leaving the steel plant.

Ukraine: Russian troops have settled in several places

According to Ukrainian information, Russian troops have now established themselves in several places in eastern Ukraine. Within 24 hours, Russian troops launched attacks on the city of Sloviansk in the Donetsk region and gained support in the small town of Lozova, a major railway junction in the Kharkiv region. The Ukrainian General Staff announced this in its report.

In the areas of Selena Dolyn in the Donetsk region and Crimea in the Luhansk region, which is about 40 kilometers east and was conquered a few days ago, Russian troops are expanding their positions and preparing for further offensives. They could also establish themselves in the town of Stepne in the Donetsk region.

Among other things, the attacks in the Luhansk region, of which, according to Ukrainian information, about 80 percent are already under Russian control, in the area of ​​the city of Rubishna and the village of Novotoschkivske.

According to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenský, there are about 44,000 Ukrainian soldiers in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions. According to other sources, they are opposed by Russian army units and separatists with troop strengths from 60,000 to 80,000 men. The Russian military command is expected to aim to encircle Ukrainian troops in Donbas.

The UN Secretary-General met with Putin and Zelenský

About two months after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, UN Secretary-General António Guterres will visit Russia and Ukraine next week. Following Tuesday’s reception by Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow, Guterres will travel to Ukraine and meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday. Working meetings with two foreign ministers Sergei Lavrov and Dmytr Kuleba are also planned.

The UN chief has previously asked for meetings as a mediator in the fight for a ceasefire in the conflict. Earlier, Guterres had sent letters to UN missions in Russia and Ukraine and asked for meetings in the country’s capitals. “Fast track steps” must be taken to bring peace to Ukraine. The UN chief recently called for a ceasefire in the war in Ukraine. Here was …